MDC is working with the North Carolina Rural Economic Development Center (the Rural Center) to craft a new strategic vision for an organization that has provided support to and a voice for Rural North Carolinians for more than 30 years. MDC helped craft the plan that created the Rural Center in the late 1980s and now the Center is at a critical point in its history and must make important decisions on how best to use its resources to meet the needs of those living in rural North Carolina.
To help the organization create an effective vision in response to its new circumstances, MDC solicited the input of rural experts and communities throughout the state. Activities include:
- A state-wide survey to better understand the critical issues facing rural communities
- A series of roundtables in rural communities aimed at soliciting input from rural residents on how the Center can best meet their needs
- Interviews with more than 60 partners of the Rural Center
- Convenings of experts to discuss issues of high-importance to rural communities
- Strategic visioning sessions with Rural Center staff and the Board of Directors
MDC will present the new strategic vision created through this process at the Center’s annual meeting in October.